Superintendent Lindsay Hall reached out to district families through the Skyalert system Thursday afternoon to inform them that a threat at Mahomet-Seymour High School had been identified and dealt within a few hours of becoming aware of the situation.
Police Chief Mike Metzler said two individuals — one of whom is a juvenile “associated with the school” — were identified.
“We have directly talked to the people involved, ” Metzler said, “and we believe it is not a credible threat.”
The incident began with a picture posted on social media that Metzler said, “had nothing to do with firearms or weapons.”
“Someone who commented brought the threat into play. It was not a threat, but if you want, some people could construe it as a veiled threat,” he continued.
Hall’s call to parents said,
“Early this afternoon some staff members at Mahomet-Seymour High School made our administration aware of a threatening message on social media. Mahomet Police were immediately involved in the situation. Upon further investigation, of the situation by the Mahomet Police Department and Mahomet-Seymour High School Administration, the threat at this time has been determined to not be credible.
“We appreciate our staff members taking action as they did. And again, while the threat has been determined to not be credible, there will be an increased police presence at Mahomet-Seymour High School in an abundance of caution.”
Metzeler said the Mahomet Police Department’s investigation is ongoing and no decisions have been made as to what — if any — charges will be filed.
“As we get into it, we will evaluate what we need to do,” Metzler said. “We are still gathering information.”
When school opens on Friday, the high school will be well-protected.
“We will increase our (police) presence in and around the school to alleviate concerns parents may have,” Metzler said.